Wednesday 11 February 2009

8 People Charged in Michael Phelps 'Bong' Incident


Michael Phelps says it's going to take him two or three months to decide if he's going to compete at the 2012 Summer Games in London, The Baltimore Sun reported.

"It will take a few months," Phelps said in a post-practice interview Monday outside the pool where he trains, the newspaper reported. "I'll give it 30 or 60 days. I think it will be better. I'm already happier now than I was, just having some part of my life back to normal, being able to swim again, having fun, joking around."

Eight people have been arrested since a photo of Phelps with a marijuana pipe was published in a British tabloid earlier this month, a Columbia, S.C., television station reported Tuesday. Seven people have been charged with drug possession and one person with distribution, WIS-TV reported.

The television station also reported that police confiscated the bong Phelps allegedly used after tracking it down when its owner, who is one of the eight people charged in the case, attempted to sell it on eBay for $100,000.

Phelps apologized for a lapse in judgment, lost a sponsor in Kellogg Co. and was suspended for three months by USA Swimming. But he's no longer waking up to people shouting outside his apartment, and the paparazzi aren't dogging him with the same vigor, according to the report.

"I'm not feeling too good physically," Phelps said, according to the report. "But I'm actually able to sleep now. I had a real hard time sleeping over the last two weeks or so. Just swimming and thinking about everything going on. Everything is back to what I call normal, I guess."

Phelps, the winner of a record-breaking eight gold medals at Beijing last summer, said he called every one of his sponsors to apologize and spoke to everyone except Kellogg, according to the report.
Source

No comments: